Do your class always want to share their experiences at "News Time" rather than question the news giver? 

I always operate a Show and Tell or News Time so the class can share their news with the class and also as part of our Oral Language programme. One of the problems I always had with this is was that the audience all want to add their similar experiences at question time rather than ask a question about the news-givers experience.  
It honestly drives me crazy and I get tired of hearing myself ask "Is that a question?"

My solution word cards, I printed off cards with the words Who, What, Where, Why, When and How. I later added Was and Did (Did you like it? and Was it fun? Seem to be common questions.)










I place them in the middle of our Show and Tell circle and after the child is selected to ask their question the child simply grabs a card and uses this to focus their question.

 The bonus is they also very quickly learn to read and write these words.  

After a few weeks, I find you can throw those word cards or staple them on the wall somewhere.  I then explain to the class, how wonderful and clever they are and that I feel everyone now knows how to ask a question so we are going to now do this without the cards because they are so amazing and do you all think you can remember what a question is?  Nodding heads.  Do you think you can all remember which words to use when asking a question?  More nodding heads.  

I can assure you if someone dares to wander off the questioning path they will be politely questioned by fellow class members is that a question?  

They come in both color/colour or black and white.

Grab them for free here in my store Kindergarten Matters

Thanks for stopping by
👩‍💻 Annie







No comments

Back to Top