Make a Shoe Box Puppet Theatre


I love puppets in the classroom, there are so many pluses to adding a little or big puppet theatre as part of your stations.  They are great for co-operation, verbalising, sequencing, retelling a story so much more I could go on.

They are so simple to set up and I wanted to share with you this super simple shoebox theatre for simple stick puppets.  This honestly took me half a day probs the longest part was waiting for the paint to dry.




1. Measure the stage


   
                                           1. Cut out the stage





2. Cut out a slot at the top of the box.
This is where the children will slip the puppets through.



3. Using a plate and glass (small & large circle), 
trace to create a simple facade to attach to the top 
both to look gorgeous but also to hide our puppeteers somewhat.


4. Paint, I chose black chalk paint for 2 reasons because it was all I had at home and then I thought perhaps we could write "Now Showing. . ." not sure if this will work but I thought it was a fun idea.


4. Glue on the facade, I used a hot glue gun and taped some sparkly tape around the stage window to tidy up my rickety cutting. 
 I also at this point glued any other parts of the box 
that may have needed a bit of strengthening.


5. I laminated some weather bits as I wanted these to sit on the facade and I thought this was a good way to talk about the concept of story settings.


6. I painted some of the big popsicle sticks to match the theatre as I wanted them to blend into the background.



7. The next part I am still deciding on currently 
I have blu-tacked on the weather bits to make for an easy change, I thought of putting velcro dots but then I thought if we wanted to leave the 
facade blank big white velcro dots would look kind of ugly.  
Maybe I can get black velcro dots this is something I am still pondering.


Here is my little shoebox theatre which we are loving.
Currently showing is Goldilocks and the Three Bears,
 you can grab the puppets here as part of my Fairy Tale Bundle *Please note it does not include the clouds, rainbow, night sky or house it includes 18 color/colour all copied in b/w 

Have a try at making one they are so much fun and super simple.
You may prefer to use a bigger box.

Thanks for stopping by Annie


No comments

Back to Top